Wednesday, July 1, 2009

sleepless mornings

It is about 4:45 here, and I've been wide awake for a couple hours now. Craziness!! I just can't sleep at all (which is something you can pray about as well), so I thought I would post on here. I arrived safely in Macedonia around 9:30 (South Carolina time) on Tuesday morning. Once here, we came to the appartment and I got a little settled, and then we went out to eat at an authentic Macedonian restaraunt. It was really good! We had a type of salad that has cucumbers, tomatoes, and a special kind of cheese that they use a lot of in Macedonia. Then, we had the Macedonian House Caserole. Yum! I'm not even sure what all was in it, but it was good!

I had a hard time stay awake during supper - but we just blame it on the jet lag. lol Once we got back to the apartment, Emily was telling me about some ministries they're hoping to start soon, and at one point, while I was sitting up talking with her, I completely fell asleep. She just laughed and said to wake up. I went to sleep pretty fast when I got in bed, but then I woke up and haven't been able to get back to sleep. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a little "nap" before I need to officialy be up. lol

Today (Thursday), we'll be doing some prayer walking, and then I'll meet some of the ladies that I'll get to minister to and possibly do some knitting with them. Pray that God opens the right doors for me and gives me the wisdom, knowledge, and courage to go through those doors.

I love ya'll!!! :)

P.S. An update on my camera - I've called the airport several times, and they keep saying to call back at such and such time. So, I'm supposed to call back today. I'm hoping they were able to find it!


EDIT (at noon): I did get some sleep finally! Woohoo! I fell asleep around 6AM Macedonian time, and woke up around 9AM. I slept harder than I had earlier in the evening.

Alrighty - for all of you curly haired people out there, guess what I forgot! Yep - my mousse! lol That's alright though. I went ahead and bought some at the store today. Yay for 3 day old dirty hair - woo!

Emily took me to the police department to register me with them. We took the bikes (Emily has one, and then a friend who is out of town is letting me borrow hers). It was amazing to ride around the town on our bikes. Great opportunity to pray for the people (however, I'm certain that I have saddle seat and will for the remainder of the time that I'm here since we'll ride bikes a lot).

So, let me describe the city to you some. I'll try to get out to take some pictures later today (with Emily's camera). However, my words will have to do for now. Like most international cities, a majority of the people walk or ride bikes around town, which I think is awesome! We went down a streat that is affectionately known as Plastic Alley as it has anything and everything you would need for your house that is plastic. I found it rather amusing. Need a lawn chair? Go to Plastic Alley! It made me think of Wal-Mart with only plastic stuff. The people have been very nice so far. I'm a pretty directionally challenged person, and it doesn't help when I'm in a foreign country. So, while we were riding around today, I tried my best to pay attention to how we got to different places, although I'm sure I'd still get lost if I ever decided to venture out alone (don't worry, Mom - I won't!). Many of the people live in apartments, and now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if I've seen many actual houses around here. The apartment buildings usually have businesses and such on the bottom floor, then the other floors are apartments for people. We're going prayer walking this afternoon, and I can't wait! It was neat to just pray while I rode the bike around town, but it'll be good to focus on just prayer instead of not getting hit by crazy drivers (I'm careful, Mom - I promise).

Lost camera status: It's still lost. I called the Lost and Found people about ten minutes ago, and he said to call back in 20 minutes, so that's what I'll do! And now that I've written a whole novel, I'll let ya go. Love you!!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really neat place and I can not wait to see the pictures. Are you in a mountain area? Your descriptions are great, but hurry and post some pictures, my curiousity is mounting!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete